Wednesday, July 7, 2010

sign painting and open doors

The door is squeaking as I open it cautiously. I think I am going to give a new adventure a try. I REALLY want to follow through on this one..lol...

I went out and bought 10 unassembled chairs today to paint. I already have requests from friends and family members, but with this new batch, I hope to be able to cautiously begin selling them for fun and profit. I don't think I will set up a website just yet and depend on word of mouth to get started. I have not yet put pen to paper to decide how much I have invested and how much I will need to make to pull even...and even make some profit to put away some money for that trip to Key West....on my endless summer.

As I was driving to pick up the chairs I mused that it is interesting how some things come home to roost. My grandfather Schindler was a sign painter back in the day when handpainted billboards were the rage. I never really understood why he did not use his talent to paint more paintings. But as I embark on this endeavor, I find myself seeing the commonalities of his sign painting and my chair painting. And all I can say is....it feels good...both of us are able to do something we enjoyed and make something functional at the same time. I think both he and my dad would approve.

Now where is that screwdriver?

No comments:

Post a Comment